Slow Cooked Pickle Brine Ham Hock
Fight food waste with this recipe for our Pickle Brine Ham Hock. Made for pickle lovers, it's a delicious dish of smoky ham, zingy Dillicious Straight Up Garlic Pickles & brine, lentils and a bit of comfort... Perfect for those lazy days.
Pickle brine ham hock
- 1 smoked ham hock approx 1kg - 1.2kg
- 750g Dillicious Pickle Garlic Chips with brine reserved
- 1 whole garlic bulb with the top sliced off
- 1 small onion peeled and whole
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 large celery stick roughly chopped
- 1&1/2 cups dried green lentils washed and rinsed
- Tasman Sea Salt & cracked pepper
- crusty bread to serve
- flat leaf parsley to garnish (optional)
Set slow cooker to high heat, add smoked ham hock, garlic bulb, onion, bay leaves and chopped celery.
Add reserved pickle brine and approximately half of the garlic pickle chips. If needed, top up with lukewarm water to just cover the pork hock.
Allow ham hock to cook for 2-3 hours in brine liquid, turning occasionally.
After 3 hours add the dried green lentils and continue to slow cook until lentils are tender, for approximately 2 more hours, season to taste with sea salt & cracked pepper if using.
Serve ham hock with lentils and some crusty bread, garnish with flat leaf parsley if using.