Slow Cooked Pickle Brine Ham Hock
Pickle brine ham hock
- 1 smoked ham hock approx 1kg - 1.2kg
- 750g Dillicious Pickle Garlic Chips with brine reserved
- 1 whole garlic bulb with the top sliced off
- 1 small onion peeled and whole
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 large celery stick roughly chopped
- 1&1/2 cups dried green lentils washed and rinsed
- Tasman Sea Salt & cracked pepper
- crusty bread to serve
- flat leaf parsley to garnish (optional)
- Set slow cooker to high heat, add smoked ham hock, garlic bulb, onion, bay leaves and chopped celery.
- Add reserved pickle brine and approximately half of the garlic pickle chips. If needed, top up with lukewarm water to just cover the pork hock.
- Allow ham hock to cook for 2-3 hours in brine liquid, turning occasionally.
- After 3 hours add the dried green lentils and continue to slow cook until lentils are tender, for approximately 2 more hours, season to taste with sea salt & cracked pepper if using.
- Serve ham hock with lentils and some crusty bread, garnish with flat leaf parsley if using.