- 2 Lemons, zested & juiced (see method below)
- 2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 0.5 cup Dominio Di Bagnoli Polenta White
- 5 Kangaroo Island Eggs
- 1.5 cups La Perruche Cassonade
- 0.75 cups Pons Green Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- icing sugar, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C & line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Zest lemons using a grater or microplane, set aside zest. Juice lemons, discarding pith & seeds, set aside.
- Combine self raising flour, polenta and lemon zest in a medium size mixing bowl, stir to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add sugar and whisk until the sugar dissolves into the eggs.
- Gently pour reserved lemon juice into the egg mixture & whisk gently before adding the olive oil. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens & emulsifies, until glossy.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients - (flour mixture) into the wet ingredients (egg mixture) whisk until combined and the cake batter is lump free & smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared cake tin and bake for 45-55 mins, until golden on top & cooked through. If the cake still jiggles at the centre, continue to cook for 5 min intervals until done.
- Remove cake from the oven and rest for 15 mins to cool, before dusting with icing sugar to serve.