- 2 cups cooked Greenwheat Wholegrain Freekeh, cold
- ½ cup; Cravero Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1-2 Kangaroo Island Eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup; chopped spring onion
- Tasman Sea Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Pons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- freshly chopped parsley, to serve
- Combine the cooked Freekeh, grated Reggiano, 1 beaten egg, spring onion and seasonings in a food processor. Pulse until combined and then gently process until all ingredients just come together – be careful not to over process and make the mixture pasty. Adjust with a second egg if your mixture is too dry.
- Roll mixture into small to medium balls, dip into the panko breadcrumbs and gently flatten with the palm of your hand. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Chill Freekeh cakes on a large tray in the fridge for a minimum of 2-3 hours. This step is crucial to allow them to firm up before cooking.
- Heat oil in a medium frypan until sizzling hot. Pan-fry the Freekeh cakes on both sides until crispy, cooking in batches as you go.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of sea salt and chopped parsley and serve!
- These crispy cakes are great with tzatziki… Or use instead of blinis with crème fraiche and Woodbridge Smoked Salmon for a light lunch.