Dulche de Leche
- 200 ml cream
- 75 g Liquid Glucose
- 0.5 Vanilla Bean, Split
- 100 g caster sugar
- 25 g Lescure Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Halon Mon Vanilla Salt
- 125 ml Full Cream Milk
- 60 g caster sugar
- 125 g Lescure Unsalted Butter
- 125 ml Water
- 0.5 tsp Tasman Sea Salt
- 150 g Plain Flour
- 3 Eggs, Beaten
- Extra Caster Sugar, For Coating
- To make the dulce de leche, heat cream, glucose and vanilla bean together in saucepan to simmering point.
- Cook the sugar with 2 tbsp water to make caramel.
- Add warmed cream mix to caramel, whisk and cook for 2 mins until combined.
- Add butter and stir to combine. Remove from heat and leave to cool completely then refrigerate. When ready to serve, stir vanilla salt into the caramel.
- To make the churros, mix the milk, sugar, butter, salt and water in saucepan and bring to boil over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the flour working quickly until the mixture falls away from the sides of the saucepan.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes, then gradually whisk in the beaten egg until combined and dough is shiny and forms a ball.
- Transfer batter to piping bag fitted with a size 11 star nozzle, tie end to secure and refrigerate for 2 hours until firm.
- When ready to serve (to order) - pipe 10cm lengths directly into hot oil and cook at 180C in deep fryer for 4-5 mins till crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Roll in caster sugar to coat and serve immediately with caramel sauce.