Oaxacan Cheese Fritters
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 avocado diced
- Oaxaca cheese cut into thick slices
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 Kangaroo Island Free Range Eggs whisked
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp Tasman Smoked Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp PONS Sweet Paprika Flakes
- vegetable oil to fry cheese
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Combine beans, corn kernels, avocado, cherry tomatoes and red onion in a small serving bowl. Gently mix together until ingredients are evenly combined and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 150C or a low heat.
- You will need three shallow bowls for dipping and dredging the cheese. Place plain flour into one bowl. Add whisked eggs to the second bowl and add panko crumbs, salt and paprika flake (seasonings) into the third bowl.
- Dredge Oaxaca cheese slices in the flour and dip the floured cheese slice into the whisked egg mixture.
- Next, dip cheese slices into the panko crumb mixture, pressing into the crumbs to cover evenly. Repeat with the remainder of cheese until all the slices are coated. Set aside in the fridge, until you're ready to cook.
- Heat vegetable oil in a shallow frying pan over a medium to hot heat. Pan fry each of the cheese slices until coating is crisp and golden and the filling starts to ooze.
- Rest fritters on a tray lined with kitchen paper and place into the warmed oven, whilst you cook the remainder of the cheese.
- Serve fritters hot from the oven, with salsa on the side. Garnish with fresh lemon wedges and coriander leaves before serving.