This heirloom recipe from Monday Morning Cooking Club is perfect for the upcoming celebration of Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year). These Honey Snaps from Carolyn Levitt in Perth makes use of the JFriendandCo Orange Blossom honey, to ensure a sweet new year.
Honey Snap Biscuits
- 3 cups Plain Flour plus extra for rolling
- 1.5 tsp Baking Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
- 0.5 tsp Tasman Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 0.5 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
- 0.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 185 g Lescure Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 Kangaroo Island Egg
- 0.25 cup J Friend & Co Orange Blossom Honey
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and spices together. Set aside.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the honey and beat until well combined. Fold in the dry ingredients to form a dough. Wrap the mixture in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray. Flour the benchtop.
- Using half of the dough at a time, roll it out to a thickness of about 3 mm, lightly flouring the benchtop as needed. Cut out biscuits using a floured cookie cutter. Places the biscuits on the prepared tray.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until just starting to brown and feel firm. Allow to cool on the trays until crisp.
- Makes about 90 biscuits (using a 6 cm round scalloped cookie cutter)
- NOTE: The dough (as well as the biscuits) freezes well and the recipe can be doubled successfully.