Flambéed Chestnut Cake with Frangelico
- Bundt Tin, approx 15 x 20cm in diameter
- 1-2 tbsp French cultured butter to prepare bundt tin
- 2 tbsp self raising flour "
- 2 tbsp white sugar "
- 250g French cultured butter, melted Lescure or Le Conquerant selected by Will Studd
- 2.5 cups self raising flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 6 Kangaroo Island eggs medium size
- 2 tbsp Nielsen Massey Vanilla Paste
- 2 tbsp Meander Valley Dairy Crème Fraiche
- 240g Clément Faugier Whole, Peeled and Cooked Chestnuts
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup Frangelico to soak the cake and flambé
- Meander Valley Dairy Double Cream
- You can find Clement Faugier Whole Peeled Chestnuts at any SIMON JOHNSON store. We used the mix & melt method for our cake. You will need additional butter, sugar & flour to grease your bundt tin.
- Prepare Bundt Tin -Grease Bundt tin with a the stick of French cultured butter, using a generous amount to smear in the crevices and sides of the tin. Dust sparingly with flour and white sugar and shake off excess, set aside.
- Preheat over to 190C. Melt remaining butter in a heat proof bowl until it’s fully melted, set aside.
- Mix flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter gradually to the flour, a little at a time and stir in crème fraiche.
- Whisk eggs with vanilla paste in a small bowl, gradually add to the butter and flour mixture. Stir to combine - a thick cake batter should have formed, it will be quite dense.
- Carefully pour half of the cake batter into the prepared Bundt tin. Give the tin a few sharp taps on the bench to distribute the batter. Lay Chestnuts on top of the cake batter and pour remaining cake batter over the top of the chestnuts.
- Give the tin a few sharp taps on the bench again to redistribute the weight in the tin and bake in the over for 1hr to approximately 1hr +10 mins depending on your oven.
- After 20 mins - reduce oven heat to 180C. For the last 20-25 mins of. your baking time, reduce heat to 165C for remainder of the bake time. (We did this once the bundt cake) had developed a lot of colour after the first 35 mins.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to rest and cool for a minimum of 20 mins. Carefully remove cake from the Bundt tin using the side of a butter knife and place right way up on a plate to serve.
- Pour Frangelico into a heat proof cup or small sauce pan, carefully tip the pan to the side to light a flame over the top of the liquid. Pour flaming liquid over the top of the cake to allow the alcohol to absorb into the cake, before serving with double cream.