Curried Sausage Rolls
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1-2 jars SIMON JOHNSON Butter Chicken Paste adjust to taste
- generous pinch of salt & pepper
- 500g beef mince
- 500g pork mince
- 1 egg beaten, to bind ingredients
- 1 packet butter puff pastry sheets we used Careme
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tbsp milk for egg wash
- cumin seeds garnish
- coriander seeds garnish
- Tracklements Mango & Chilli Chutney to serve
- Meredith Dairy Sheep Milk Yoghurt to serve
- Mix diced onion, beef & pork mince, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Add 1 jar of butter chicken paste (more if you like it spicy) stirring thoroughly and mix in one beaten egg.
- Roll out one sheet of pastry and cut lengthways into 4 rectangles. Spoon about 1 cup of mince mixture along one side of each piece of pastry and tuck in the ends of the pastry, with the seam underneath to form a sausage roll, smoothing the shape as you go.
- Set aside on a baking tray lined with baking paper and repeat until all the mixture is used (about 10-12 sausage rolls).
- Chill sausage rolls in the freezer for approx 1hr to firm up. Once chilled, remove from the freezer and trim to smaller or larger rolls, depending on your preference and score tops using a sharp knife.
- Beat together the egg and milk to form an egg wash and brush the tops with beaten egg wash. Sprinkle with cumin and coriander seeds to decorate. Bake in a hot oven at 200C for 35/45 mins until sausage rolls are golden and cooked through.
- Serve with mango & chilli chutney and a dollop of yoghurt on the side.