- You will need a large casserole dish
- 500g Fregola Sarda
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- chicken drumstick and/or thighs, we used 6 drumsticks, 3 thighs with bone in
- Tasman Sea Salt
- 2 x 400g Italianavera San Marzano Tomatoes
- 200g SIMON JOHNSON Empeltre Black Olives
- 320g El Navarrico Piquillo Peppers
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- fresh bay leaves
- 1/2 cup water, stock or red wine *if needed
- chopped parsley to serve
- Add fregola to the base of the casserole dish and top with onion, garlic and chicken pieces.
- Season with a generous amount of salt.
- Add tomatoes to the tray, using a butter knife to cut tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- Add the olives and piquillo peppers, along with a drizzle of the extra virgin olive oil. Tuck the bay leaves into the top of the casserole around the chicken pieces and peppers, etc.
- Cover tray with foil and cook at 200C for 30 mins. Remove foil from tray and reduce heat to 180C. Continue to cook for an additional 30-40 mins, or until chicken is cooked through and golden.
- Add a little red wine or stock if needed, while cooking. Approximately 1/2 a cup if the sauce reduces too fast.
- Remove tray from oven and garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and chopped parsley prior to serving.